Today was internet freedom day.
Today was the anniversary of the SOPA/PIPA blackouts last year, and several organizations decided to declare it Internet Freedom Day. Which of course I thought was a good idea, because for a while I thought I was the only one that was remembering that today was the anniversary of our eforts. One of the things the site asks us to do is post something we love about the internet, now I’m sure you know where this is going. You knew it was going to end up as a list the moment I said that… right?
- The fact that I can follow so many things, without actually having to be there, from church services, to tech conferences, to legal cases, for instance.
- The fact that I can bank online, so that I don’t have to go to the bank all the time.
- Google Reader, and RSS in general.
- The fact that right now, I can write something, or link to stuff, and not have it taken down, (yet.)
- The friends I’ve made, mostly over Twitter.
- The fact that I can also use Twitter for curation.
- Curation, except for the last week, because the last week was hard.
- TWiT live.
- Wikileaks Oh… there are some people in my life that will have issues with that one. I didn’t mean to imply that I have a direct association with wikileaks, or that I do anything more than support them, or respect their work.
Today was definitely a good day, although not epic like last year was. I had a list of a bunch of things I wanted to do throughout the week, and I was able to finish all the things on the list today.